1. Will from “His Dark Materials” by Philip Pullman (I say anyone not in all books of a series can be considered secondary, if you’re wondering.)
2. Inigo Montoya from “The Princess Bride” by William Goldman (This one’s a little iffy, as it’s really an ensemble cast, but…dammit, I love him and I am taking this chance to declare it!)
3. Rob Anybody from the Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett.
4. Maddie from “Fever” by Lauren DeStefano (She is by far my favorite character overall. I desperately want her to wind up in charge of everything. This is my head-cannon.)
5. Thorin from “The Hobbit” by J.R.R. Tolkein (The primary reason why I detest the old cartoon version is their horrid characterization of Thorin.)
6. The Jester from “King Lear” by Shakespeare (He has, by far, the best and most brilliant insults of all the bard’s works. And THAT, my friends, is saying something!)
7. The Persian from “Phantom of the Opera” by Gaston Leroux (WHY does he not show up in more movie versions?? He is wonderful!)
8. Puddleglum from “Silver Chair” by C.S. Lewis (You TELL that witch, you beautiful pessimist!)
9. Calcifer from “Howl’s Moving Castle” by Diana Wynne Jones (I want him to run my house!)
10. Gollum in everything by J.R.R. Tolkein (I know I already did something from “Hobbit”, but this counts as separate since it covers “Lord of the Rings,” too. The sneaky creature stole my love from “Riddles in the Dark”.)
Who are yours?